This page contains:
- Review Policy
- Rating System Explained
- Commenting Policies
Last Update: July 5, 2020.
1. Review Policy
I am currently accepting books for review and ARCs from authors and publishers. Ask about blog tours.
This page details how I go about reviewing and how I will treat your book once I receive it. Please read it carefully, as it contains important information.
- My reviews are for free. I don’t receive any payment for what I do. As such, I retain the right to:
- Freely express my opinion, whatever it may be, on the book being reviewed;
- Manage my time as I see fit;
- Turn down pitches that do not pique my interest.
- Always contact me first before sending a book, as I will be able to tell you if I can review it and offer you a realistic timescale. I strive to reply to all emails, whether to accept or decline a book, but please be understanding if I do not manage to get back to you.
- I do not guarantee review of books received without prior contact.
- I am open to discuss blog tours. If you schedule a blog tour with me, I require at least two weeks from when I receive the book to the scheduled review date. If I don’t receive a book by then, I will consider the agreed upon posting date null and void. I cannot guarantee I will reschedule.
- I accept books in print or ebooks for Kindle. I prefer paperback over hardback, but I’m not picky. I am on NetGalley as well. I do not accept audiobooks.
- The format of review will depend on the type of book: fiction will be more narrative-oriented, while non-fiction lends itself to a flash-review style. The links redirect to examples of these kinds of review.
- When contacting me, I will give you an estimated timescale. This will be a realistic assessment based on my current backlist and the length of the proposed book. Review copies jump to the top of my list. I cannot guarantee having a review out within the week, but I will within a month of the date of receipt. You will be immediately contacted via email about any changes to the schedule due to unforeseen circumstances (e.g. health, postal delays, etc.). The review will be rescheduled.
- In the review, I will state how I acquired the book and offer links to online platforms where the book may be purchased or pre-ordered (e.g. Waterstones, Hive, etc.). Please note: I do not advertise Amazon nor wish to leave reviews on its platform.
- For instance, if I receive an ARC, I will state: “I received an ARC from [publisher] in exchange for a review.”
- I will post a link to the review on my blog on Goodreads. If you don’t want me to do this, please say so.
- Unless expressly stated and pre-agreed, I will retain any books sent to me and, after reviewing them, I will either donate them to my local library or pass it on to a fellow book blogger or a friend. If you wish your book returned, just let me know and I will post it back. In the case of eBooks, I delete them.
- I will review all books I have accepted and agreed to read, whether I liked them or not. Reviews will be honest and will reflect my enjoyment or otherwise of the book. I will strive to finish a book, but retain my right to not finish it if I am really not enjoying it and will say so in my review (DNF). Kindly note that my blog is not your advertisement space.
- I strive to write reviews that are balanced and fair. Hence they will include “Pros” and “Cons” sections, titled “Things I Like” and “Things I Liked a Little Less” respectively. I retain the liberty to point out trigger warnings to readers as part of the review. I have linked below samples of my reviewing style.
- All views and opinions are personal and exclusively my own.
I read widely and my taste is eclectic, but I prefer fiction. Broadly my favourite genres are:
- Sci-Fi and Fantasy
- Magical Realism
- Classics and modern classics
- Graphic novels
Don’t be afraid to approach me with a book that doesn’t fall into these categories! Chances are I’ll read it and review it.
I cannot guarantee reviews for:
- True crime
That said, most of the books I review are either gifted/loaned to me by my friends or books I bought with my own money. It should be assumed everything I review was obtained in this fashion unless expressly stated otherwise within the review.
2. Rating System Explained
The blog uses a 5-star system to rate my enjoyment of the book. The star rating is assigned based on a combination of the following aspects:
- Plot and pace
- Writing style
- Characters and character development
- Personal enjoyment
The rating broadly carries the following connotations:
★ – I didn’t like it
★★ – It’s ok, but with plenty of room for improvement
★★★ – I liked it
★★★★ – I enjoyed it a lot
★★★★★ – I absolutely loved it
I add emojis to mark half stars.
3. Commenting Policies
I strive to read and at least react to all the comments I receive, but I cannot guarantee this.
I do not moderate comments on this blog except in the following circumstances:
- Abusive or offensive behaviour, towards myself, the author, other commenters, or communities at large.
I define as trolling comments 1) that refer to something unrelated to the post, 2) whose purpose is to antagonise.
In these and only these circumstance do I reserve the right to delete the comment.