This is a post dedicated to sharing links to support Black creators and BLM. I will continue adding new things to it and keeping the links relevant, but if a link stops working or you have a link you’d like to add to the list, please let me know in the comments! Thank you.
- My heart is reaching out to everyone who is protesting, everyone who is suffering and hurting, everyone who is hoping. I found this helpful tweet on where you can donate to help as well as this other one for bail funds. This one is to support Black-led LGBTQ community organisations.
This is a big, BIG list full of resources, petitions, events, marches, etc. that is updated automatically every 5 minutes: www.ally.wiki.
This thread has excellent suggestions on what you can do as a non-Black person to fight racism, and here is a history lesson to help you understand the motivations behind the protest. Also, here is a huge google doc full of resources to educate yourself.
If you don’t have the means to donate right now, you can watch this youtube video. Disable ad blocks, diversify your content so you’re not reported for spam (watch 3-5 videos), and let it play. All the ad revenue is being donated to bail funds. Or you can play this playlist on loop and it’ll have the same exact effect.
Alternatively, sign petitions and more petitions. EVEN MORE PETITIONS (UK edition).
- If you have reach and are in a position to hire people, please make an effort to hire Black, POC and LGBTQ+ creators. This is a helpful tweet on #drawingwhileblack with a directory of black artists currently available for work. You can make a change for the better. You’ve been given the power; now take this responsibility. Here are more portfolio threads and more and more.
- And here are some book recommendations by Black/POC authors you should definitely check out and support:
- When Life Gives You Mangoes by Kereen Getten.
- The Gilded Ones by Namina Forna.
- War Girls by Tochi Onyebuchi.
- The Sound of Stars by Alechia Dow.
- Daughters of Nri by Reni K. Amayo.
- Maya and the Rising Dark by Rena Barron.
- 23 YA Books by Black Authors.
- Magnifique Noir by Briana Lawrence.
- Witches Steeped in Gold by Ciannon Smart.
- Birds of Prey by Ayana Gray.
- Legendborn by Tracy Deonn.
- Children’s Books that Address Race and Racism.
- 190 Books by Black Authors.
- Anti-racist Books for All Children and Teens (Guardian article).
- And let’s not forget to support Black-owned shops as well! More over here. And this is a HUGE directory of shops in the USA, Canada, and Europe!
- Have you supported any indie publisher or bookshop lately? Why not support a Black-owned one? Here are a few you should definitely check out (UK-based):
- If you have more useful links like the ones I shared above, please leave them in the comments for others to see and I will share them again on my Twitter page.
Thank you! ✊🏽✊🏾✊🏿
One thought on “Support Black Creators and BLM”